Thursday, June 9, 2011

Apple dumplings!

Do I suck at updating or what?  Stupid real life, getting in the way of my blogging!  As it turns out, two year olds don't give a shit if you want to sit at your computer quietly for fifteen minutes.  Who knew?
This is a recipe that initially started with my mother-in-law.  I loved the recipe, but it used a LOT of sugar and my husband (who isn't too big on super-sweet food) would never help me eat it, so I'd invariably wind up eating basically the whole thing over a couple of days by myself with only a little bit of help from Kiddo.  So, I decided to experiment.  The results were AWESOME.  So here is the recipe I now use!

Ingredients:
About 4 medium apples (choose your favorite type)
2 cans of refrigerated crescent rolls
2 sticks of butter
1/2 can of Diet 7Up
1/3 cup honey
Zest from two lemons

1.  Grease your pan(s)/casserole dish and preheat your oven to 350 F.
2.  Slice the apples.  You want medium-sized chunks.
3.  Wrap the apple chunks in the individual crescent rolls and place in the pan.
4.  Melt the butter and stir the honey, zest, and 7 Up into the melted butter.  Pour mixture over the dumplings.
5.  Cook until dumplings are a nice golden brown (about 30 minutes).  Allow to cool and enjoy!

These dumplings are excellent to bring to potlucks, or serve with breakfast.  They're also great hangover food.  (HI MOM!)

No comments:

Post a Comment