Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Crazy Cajun cabbage

I know what you're thinking.  It's something like "Ew, cabbage."  That's what I thought for a long time.  But after seeing how cheap it is to get a head of cabbage at the store, I thought "Let's figure out a way to make this crap edible."  So, that's how this recipe was born.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 heads of cabbage (chopped)
1 can Rotel
4 strips of bacon

Directions:
1.  In a large pot (stock pots work well), add the cabbage, Rotel, and bacon.  Fill up to about 2-3 inches below the top of the ingredients.
2.  Cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 2-3 hours or until cabbage is the consistency of Southern collard greens.
3.  Drain if it seems too watery to you.
4.  Pig out.

This is a super simple recipe.  It WILL make your house smell funny, but it's totally worth it.  Most people who have tried this can't believe it's really cabbage and ALL of them ask for second helpings, including my selectively picky toddler.
I often serve these with Cajun fried chicken (I'll post the recipe later) and my Mexican cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment